• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Glowing muffler

Farmer

Apr 20, 2024
The other evening I went to get my hired man from the field about 6 or 8 miles away from home. Rode along at 45-55mph the whole way, which these machines seem comfortable with. When I got home I was looking at the machine and the muffler was glowing red, could've lit a cigarette off the damned thing.

Now I've never noticed it before, but I also almost never drive it at night. The thing runs great so far with about 1300 miles on the clock. It just seems like an insurance claim waiting to happen

Has anyone else seen this?

I haven’t noticed that but I guess I’m gonna have to look at mine at night. I have close to 3k miles on mine and all seems well

Where was it growing red at? I wonder if we can gut the cats like the other ranger/rzr
The entire muffler as seen from the driver side was cherry red. It seems to me like the ignition timing should/could be advanced and it might help?

Wow that’s not good for cruising around pastures in the dry grass. Better make sure my fire extinguisher is fully charged!

Definitely agree. Maybe by the time you open the gate and idle in to check the stock tank, it'll be cooled down some.

Normal. Mine does that too. Plus the catalytic converter is in the muffler. But the pipes glow too.

If the cat is in the muffler it can be removed because the o2 sensor is before it. I might have to take mine off and put a camera in there and see were it’s at. Shouldn’t throw any codes and has to run a lot cooler

I wonder what the oval shaped thing is just before the o2 sensor that is wrapped in silver looking heat shield. I assumed that was the cat. They don’t show that part of the exhaust in the Polaris parts schematic. All they show is the muffler and the manifold

If the cat is in the muffler it can be removed because the o2 sensor is before it. I might have to take mine off and put a camera in there and see were it’s at. Shouldn’t throw any codes and has to run a lot cooler
Oh yes. 100% rite. I’d be concerned about making it louder if the converter “fell out” lol.

Sound wise. It’s perfect the way it is.

Let us know what you find please.

I wonder what the oval shaped thing is just before the o2 sensor that is wrapped in silver looking heat shield. I assumed that was the cat. They don’t show that part of the exhaust in the Polaris parts schematic. All they show is the muffler and the manifold
The oval shaped thing appears to me to be a flex pipe of sorts.

well it shouldn’t glow red anymore! The oval shaped thing is a flex pipe and has to be there to remove the muffler. To stop the glowing make the cut a little lower down than I did in the picture(pretty much to the heat shield)and it right there on the output side of the muffler. Rode about ten miles noise level is the same and no lights on the dash!

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpeg
    IMG_2858.jpeg
    866.2 KB · Views: 6
Back