• đź”– It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Sound levels (Northstar XD1500 vs XP1000)

Adk Groomer

Dec 31, 2023
My '18 Northstar XP1000 has been great; my only complaint has been the noise (well, and the hard shifting once a belt wears in, but we all whine about that!). I have a NIOSH decibel app on my phone and did a quick test:

XP1000 in low, 15mph: 87db
XD1500 in Tow / Haul, 15mph: 72db

(I use my ranger primarily for snow grooming; with the tracks on 15mph equates to around 10mph which is a reasonable top speed for grooming, hence the test at that level. I expect the XD1500 to be louder when pulling a fully loaded drag up a hill, but I know the XP1000 is too (94db for the curious (5000-5500rpm or so)). If I remember, I get the tracks, AND we get more snow I'll try and remember to update this post with the XD1500 data when pulling a loaded drag.

That is a HUGE improvement. After said test my wallet became a bit lighter (admittedly I'd planned on purchasing it already, but this certainly sealed it for me).

I'll add that as others have stated the fit and finish is lightyears ahead of the XP1000. Yes, it should be for what it cost, but at least it is.

Thanks for the effort in doing that. Intuitively, you know it’s quiet, but real numbers give a great reference point. It’s really easy to take off tunnel and add a layer of deadener and heat shield so I’m guessing you would see even greater result. Also the stall mat I made floor liners with made a huge difference. IMO, Polaris did this one right. Very few complaints and all those minor so far.

Have you been able to locate a speedo healer to adjust the speed when the tracks are on? And the Milage of course.

I added some sound deadening mat to the xp1000; it honestly didn’t make a huge difference. I didn’t put any on the floor though, just under and behind the seats and in the roof, so that may have been my mistake. I may add mat to the floor on the xd1500 since you’ve mentioned it; we’ll see!

I’ve never worried about correcting the speedometer or odometer; I can do the math for speed, honestly the running gear is turning the same with tires vs tracks so the actual wear and tear number is more accurate not messing with it, and lastly I feel hours and the shape it is in is more indicative of life left than mileage. The way I keep my machines (inside, annual maintenance) I’ve never had trouble selling them when it’s time.

I added some sound deadening mat to the xp1000; it honestly didn’t make a huge difference. I didn’t put any on the floor though, just under and behind the seats and in the roof, so that may have been my mistake. I may add mat to the floor on the xd1500 since you’ve mentioned it; we’ll see!

I’ve never worried about correcting the speedometer or odometer; I can do the math for speed, honestly the running gear is turning the same with tires vs tracks so the actual wear and tear number is more accurate not messing with it, and lastly I feel hours and the shape it is in is more indicative of life left than mileage. The way I keep my machines (inside, annual maintenance) I’ve never had trouble selling them when it’s time.
It was noticeably quieter when I insulated tunnel with siless and made the stall mats. Ironically, becasue it’s so quiet, you notice road noise and those simple things made a difference. It will Probably will help heat too when summer comes. Tunnel has zero insulation. Floor boards have a small layer under them.

Amazon product ASIN B07B75PD8Bthis is what I used. Stuck it to plastic on underside of tunnel and around both front and rear boxes under seat and anywhere else I could reach such as interior plastic around driver seat and area around battery and fuse compartment. I didn’t take off floor boards and do those. There is a little there I could see and I have stall mats on those I made.

4 seater you have to remove ducting that goes through tunnel to back seat. A couple of zip ties. Worth an hour of time.

Your pics didn't come through.
Sorry, I didn’t think to take pics when I was doing it so I don’t have anything to offer there.

The links are what I used and purchased from Amazon. The links worked for me, but if I need to offer a description because they don’t work, let me know.

Okay. I'm afraid your links didn't come through then.
Sorry about that. This is the siless I used. I am sure the 200 would be fine too:

Siless Liner 157 (4 mm) mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Closed Cell Foam & Heat Insulation mat - PE Foam Sound Deadener Material & Heat Barrier​

This is what I wrapped around coolant lines:

Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier, 12" x 48" (2x 24" Sheets)​

It was a very simple to do and I noticed a difference In noise. I assume it will also help heat transfer up into cab, but with cold weather can’t tell any difference.

Back