• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Accessories

Davejf

Feb 9, 2024
What are some must have accessories you guys think I should get with the new buggy. 2 door, mainly gonna be used for trail riding, collecting sap during syrup season, hauling wood and ice fishing. I’m thinking, mirrors, visors, and headache rack. Also talked to dealer about switching to 4 door, and they basically talked me out of it due to being too heavy for Wisconsin trails, any input on that ?
Thanks, dave

Last edited:
Mirrors are a must; I have the visors for the wife...I could care less. The headache rack looks good if you need it, I don't really have a use for one. I have a low-profile compact toolbox on mine and wouldn't be without it. I just carry to much stuff with me and don't like a bunch of boxes and junk in the back. As for 4 doors...you either need to haul more than 2 people or you don't. Yes, it's extra space but at the cost of weight, turning radius, and ground clearance. I also have a small trailer (4 X 6) that I use a lot when I need to haul wood, mulch, small equipment, and so on.

I agree with red. Mirrors for sure. 32 inch tires really make it look a lot nicer and gives an additional inch of clearance, if you want to spend that money. Part of the reason I switched my tires and wheels is I also wanted to have a spare tire. At least, that was my justification ;). The spare tire holder in the bed really works pretty well. Also easy to take out if you don’t want it In for some reason. If you decide to do a roof rack, you could certainly put your tire there. A nightmare is getting somewhere in the backcountry and not being able to change a tire if it gets shredded for some reason. My toolbox also has tire repair kit and pump, but occasionally that doesn’t do the trick.

In our country rock sliders are a definite must. Just too much opportunity to bang up the edges. I also like to have plenty of light at night, so I would consider a light bar. A brush guard is also something that is nice depending on where you ride. I spliced into the wire on my dome light and added one for the backseat as well. That was a pretty cheap $15 deal. For a two seater you wouldn’t need to worry about that. As far as the unseen, I would add some Silas and heat shield in the tunnel. it’s made mine noticeably quieter. It is already the quietest machine I’ve ever been in. I assume it will also make it cooler in the summer due to the coolant lines being insulated. I also made some floor mats out of stall mat. I’m sure that’s all contributed to it being quieter because you can’t hear the rocks flip up underneath on a gravel road as much.

After seeing Reds toolbox, I did an about face and copied him because I thought it looked so nice. It is great storage space and really first rate. Kind of an expensive box, but not any more than Polaris will charge when they finally get their plastic one.

Excited to see what you do! Post pics for sure!

Last edited:
they basically talked me out of it due to being too heavy for Wisconsin trails, any input on that ?
Move to Utah! Haha. Our limitations are generally width of machine, so we don’t have that much problem here. Also we street legal a lot of our rigs and can ride them in most places besides the freeway.

Move to Utah! Haha. Our limitations are generally width of machine, so we don’t have that much problem here. Also we street legal a lot of our rigs and can ride them in most places besides the freeway.
Yeah, apparently Wisconsin, and Minnesota have a weight restriction on state trails ? They told me the 4 door was over

I agree with red. Mirrors for sure. 32 inch tires really make it look a lot nicer and gives an additional inch of clearance, if you want to spend that money. Part of the reason I switched my tires and wheels is I also wanted to have a spare tire. At least, that was my justification ;). The spare tire holder in the bed really works pretty well. Also easy to take out if you don’t want it In for some reason. If you decide to do a roof rack, you could certainly put your tire there. A nightmare is getting somewhere in the backcountry and not being able to change a tire if it gets shredded for some reason. My toolbox also has tire repair kit and pump, but occasionally that doesn’t do the trick.

In our country rock sliders are a definite must. Just too much opportunity to bang up the edges. I also like to have plenty of light at night, so I would consider a light bar. A brush guard is also something that is nice depending on where you ride. I spliced into the wire on my dome light and added one for the backseat as well. That was a pretty cheap $15 deal. For a two seater you wouldn’t need to worry about that. As far as the unseen, I would add some Silas and heat shield in the tunnel. it’s made mine noticeably quieter. It is already the quietest machine I’ve ever been in. I assume it will also make it cooler in the summer due to the coolant lines being insulated. I also made some floor mats out of stall mat. I’m sure that’s all contributed to it being quieter because you can’t hear the rocks flip up underneath on a gravel road as much.

After seeing Reds toolbox, I did an about face and copied him because I thought it looked so nice. It is great storage space and really first rate. Kind of an expensive box, but not any more than Polaris will charge when they finally get their plastic one.

Yeah, because of no back seat I was thinking of some sort of box for the bed, any pics,?

I just bumped a thread where Red shows box etc. You will also see my posts about plastic box and then about face and copy cat Red On the aluminum tread plate box. Not sure how the copy thread so figured you could look at that. Thread is: “bed size info needed for toolbox”.

Last edited:
I just bumped a thread where Red shows box etc. You will also see my posts about plastic box and then about face and copy cat Red On the aluminum tread plate box. Not sure how the copy thread so figured you could look at that. Thread is: “bed size info needed for toolbox”.
Thanks !

Yeah, because of no back seat I was thinking of some sort of box for the bed, any pics,?
You can look at my toolbox there, which is a low-profile box, you can also see Wincollectors box which is like mine but taller. There are only a few brands that fit this machine well without being too wide or too narrow. The box was kind of pricey at around $600 but what the hell do you get from Polaris for that kind of money.

You can look at my toolbox there, which is a low-profile box, you can also see Wincollectors box which is like mine but taller. There are only a few brands that fit this machine well without being too wide or too narrow. The box was kind of pricey at around $600 but what the hell do you get from Polaris for that kind of money.
Nice job !

When I ordered mine I thought I was purchasing exact box as Red. After I got it I realized it was a little taller on lid portion. Turns out they have a couple of different styles in the 63 inch. Either one works great and are priced the same. You can get a regular aluminum, not painted black, for less, but I don’t think it would look as sharp. Personal preference on that. I think I paid $565.00

I agree with above. Mirrors are absolutely necessary where we ride. I ended up with an extra new Polaris inside rearview mirror, still in box. Long story. I also have an extra horn kit complete With wiring and switch.
When I upgraded wheels and tires to 32 I have the 4 original tires and rims, which I think I’ll sell.
Im thinking break selling them separately to be used as spares tires.
due to the limited selection of available bumpers, I ordered the thumper fab rear bumper which restricts bed dumping by 10%. I’ll post pictures once it’s installed so everone can see the reduced tilt,

The next thing I need to figure out is how to mount fishing pole holders to bed or toolbox area. My old ranger had round sockets, which worked perfectly for hauling fishing poles, standing up umbrellas, and general secure points for beach gear. Considering bolting rod holders to toolbox, but would be nice to Make/manufacture a rod holder that fits in rectangular bed rail holes. Any ideas?
IMG_0567.jpeg

Back