• đź”– It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Are the Polaris Rock Guards worth it?

Big Red

Sep 27, 2023
I had Rock Guards on my last 2 machines but was thinking that the XD doors sit in more than the XP doors and maybe didn't need them. Well I changed my mind. I'm looking ones from Polaris and Thumper Fab. Anyone have either one that has wisdom to share.

I can’t speak to the thumper fab, Red, but I can tell you I have the Polaris rock sliders and they are solid and I’m glad I have them. I haven’t put them to the official test yet of having them rub on anything. They are about the same gauge material as the bumper and I’m sure they will provide good protection. I think it’s worth the cost if you ride in rough terrain country. We ride where there are rocks and other things that Can either flip up or be slid against due to the terrain.

That plastic won’t take any kind of beating if you rub along the edge very much. I call mine the son-in-law insurance policy. Ha! It seems if he can ruin something he’ll find a way to do it. That said, I love him!

Here’s a couple of pictures. After looking at them even more closely, I think the gauge is nearly double what the bumper is…so it’s quite a bit more solid.
IMG_2608.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg

Not very hard to install either. Had to drill a few holes in the plastic and then it has the hardware that fits into the frame and bolt it on. The plastic has little dimples where you need to drill so it’s kind of idiot proof. Pretty simple. Two piece for the crew model, but I’m assuming with your two door it would just be one piece.

Thanks for the close-up pics, I was wondering how well it lined up with the step, rocker panel, and front wheel well.

Put the Polaris Rock Guards on Saturday, fairly happy with them. They are much beefier than anything I had from Polaris before. They do have a larger gap at the front wheel well than I would prefer, not really an issue just a gap to trap mud and rocks.

Did you look at the Thumper Fab version before selecting the Polaris setup? Trying to decide between them
Put the Polaris Rock Guards on Saturday, fairly happy with them. They are much beefier than anything I had from Polaris before. They do have a larger gap at the front wheel well than I would prefer, not really an issue just a gap to trap mud and rocks.

Agree with the gap in the front wheel well. It will definitely get little rocks and mud in it. That said, you are correct Red, they are very solid. I also like that they don’t stick out far like a running board. That just adds opportunity to hit things and bend. Like I mentioned in previous messages, I am happy with purchase and quality.

Last edited:
Did you look at the Thumper Fab version before selecting the Polaris setup? Trying to decide between them
Thumper were not available when I purchased the Polaris sliders. I have looked at them since, but I like the Polaris better, because they don’t stick out as far and seem to be heavier gauge material. Hard to tell gauge from pics, but Polaris, I think, has a better design. Usually aftermarket seems to have thought things through more, but in this case, it seems thumper was going for a little running board, guard combination. I don’t care for that as much. Purely opinion and some speculation on my part.

Not in person but I did review the install video a couple of times. I thought they looked a little light duty for rock guards and really didn't like them sitting out past my wheels, just one more thing to catch a tree or rock on. They were also more expensive, and my dealer had the Polaris bars in stock with 10% off. So it seemed like the better choice for me.

Back