• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Bed Size Info needed for Tool Box

Big Red

Sep 27, 2023
I plan on buying a new toolbox for the Ranger, I have one now but want to get a better one. Can someone provide me with some dimensions that I haven't been able to find. Here is what I need to know.

1. How wide is the top of the bed (outside dimension) at the back by the window where the rear of the toolbox would sit. Need to know so it does not overhang the width of the bed.
2. How far is it from the inside of the bed (at top) to rear of the cab? I'm looking at a toolbox with a rail on top and I don't want to hit the window or cab when it opens up.
3. What is the center to center dimension of the new Lock and Ride Max rails? (width dimension for mounting new tool box)

Any help any one can provide would be appreciated.

Here are some pics Red. Let me know if that suffices.

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 38
Outside dimension of the bed is exactly 63 inches. Bed height is 11 5/8 inches but I have a mat in mine that adds about a quarter of an inch. Inside of the Lock and ride max 60 3/4”.

Outside dimension of the bed is exactly 63 inches. Bed height is 11 5/8 inches but I have a mat in mine that adds about a quarter of an inch. Inside of the Lock and ride max 60 3/4”.
Outstanding! That is exactly the information I needed. Thank You so much!

This is the box I ordered. We will see. Guessing I will have to cut off lock and ride posts and then put 5/16 flange bolts into max rail and up into box. If I have to butcher box too much I wont do it and will return it. I don‘t want a full width box because of spare tire.

KEMIMOTO Bed Storage Box 45.3L/11.2GAL Large Capacity Compatible with Polaris Ranger 1000 900 570 700, Ranger XP 2013-2023 Bed Cargo Box (Right/Passenger Side)​

I ordered the UWS 63" Slimline toolbox EC10312 for my Ranger. It was 1 of only 2 that I found that looked like I could mount it using the new Lock and Ride Max rails.
1704031099317.png

Looks like it would work well. There is a post on xpedition forum that tells you what to use to mount them. Basically 5/16 flange head bolts and then whatever length you need up into box. Guessing 1“or 1 1/2 would work for that box since it would only come up through metal on edge. Use knobs instead of nuts and can take off easy. Screen shots of what he used attached. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

My Kemimoto box came yesterday. I will mount it Wednesday or Thursday. Will have to cut lock and ride round posts off, but looks like it will work. I have some flange head bolts and knobs, so will use that to attach.

Attachments

• IMG_2573.png
    IMG_2573.png
    632.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2570.png
    IMG_2570.png
    424 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I planned to try a regular bolt, carriage bolt, and a T-head bolt to see which worked the best for me. Just waiting for the Ranger and toolbox to decide for sure. I think a 3/8" carriage bolt would work the best if I can get the head in the rail. I'm sure it won't be too hard to figure it out

I put in the kemimoto box. Had to cut off the plastic posts that go into the lock and ride holes. I was not able to use the knobs to install onto bolts on the max rail either because lock and ride max rail didn’t line up with the indentations in the box. I Used nylocs so bolts wouldn’t vibrate loose. I also had to drill holes in underside of lid so nut and end of bolt would recess and lid would close. A bit of hatchet job, but I committed myself when I cut lock and ride posts off. See pics if interested. Negative is it will take a few minutes to take box off. It will seldom come off, so not too worried. Bed is still very ample even with the box and spare tire.

I think Reds box will work easier and certainly is a much nicer box, but I like the size (and price) of this one for my needs. Guessing it will be months before aftermarket solutions come for XD. The negative for us early adopters Of XD. The positive…Lots of opportunity for adaptations.

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    950 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Pics of the new toolbox installed on the Ranger. The UWS 63" is the perfect width for this machine. I went with the Slim Line low profile, many other options to suit your taste or needs.

Attachments

• IMG_9292.JPG
    IMG_9292.JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9293.JPG
    IMG_9293.JPG
    546.4 KB · Views: 38
That box is perfect! Looks so great!
I was able to pick the right box because of all the pictures and measurements you got for me, thanks for taking the time to do that! You can't believe how difficult it was to find one the was wide enough to use the rails to mount it without it being so long that it over hung the bed. The other issue was finding one that fit inside the bed without being too wide. The 63" UWS and the 65" Camlocker boxes are the only ones that I found that would work correctly.

Well, the thanks is now returned! I ordered one from Amazon and used some points to cover about half of it! I’m gonna put the other one on my general. Looks so damn good I couldn’t resist!

Well, the thanks is now returned! I ordered one from Amazon and used some points to cover about half of it! I’m gonna put the other one on my general. Looks so damn good I couldn’t resist!
I hope you like it! Finding a quick mount fastener is a little difficult, here is what I used. I used 1" long X 3/8" carriage bolts and fender washers. The "square" under the carriage bolt head pulls up into the track and keeps the head from rotating. The tool box comes with 1 wide slot that you can use for mounting you'll just have to ream out the slot where the bolt goes through. I elected to put 2 bolts on each side, I don't know that it's needed but I didn't want it to move. I drilled four 1/2" holes for the bolts to go through so it would have a little play in case the holes were not perfect. My measurements were all taken from the inside of the toolbox with the lid open and are: Distance from the side to the center of the hole was 1 1/4" for all 4 holes. This should center the bolt in the track. The holes at the back of the box (cab side) were 1 3/4" to center, and the holes at the front of the box (latch side) was 2" to center. I found it easier to just set the toolbox where you want it to sit then look through the existing slot in the toolbox to see where the track was located, that's how I determined the 1 1/4" inch. This is how I did it but please verify for yourself before drilling any holes.

Perfect info! There you have it. Favor completely returned! Great community of new friends.

Did you get your new toolbox yet? Do you like it?

It came, but I am at my city house so haven’t looked at it yet. Probably Thursday or Friday. I am excited to get it in. Will be close with spare tire, but should fit. I will let you know.

Installed box. Perfect fit! Works with spare tire just right. So superior to plastic. Expensive, but worth every penny. Thanks Red! I Used knobs so can pull off easy. I also decided to use 3/8 stainless carriage bolts. I put a 5/16 rubber washer so the square would sit in track without falling down. Worked perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Looks good Wincollector, I'm glad you like it. I thought it was fairly expensive for what it is too.......but the way the rail is set-up on the XD there is just not a lot of options out there that fit correctly. I only found 2 that would work and look nice, the other one was a 65" CamLocker that was over $800 and impossible to find in stock anywhere. I carry a lot of stuff with me so not having a box was not an option for me.

Back