• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Rough idle ( cold )

Davejf

Feb 9, 2024
You guys have a rough idle when first started ? This one the rpm’s are all over the board upon startup, it calms down when warm tho .

You guys have a rough idle when first started ? This one the rpm’s are all over the board upon startup, it calms down when warm tho .
Yes mine surges a bit right at startup and then settles into a smooth idle. I guess I don't see it as an issue.

I haven’t noticed anything. But I’ve only started mine up on one cold morning. I’ll have to check it this weekend. I know my XP did not like the cold from the beginning. If it’s a cold morning less than 30°, I would have to turn the key at least twice to get it to start.

Yep when cold under 30 degrees mine idles a bit rough for about 15 seconds. It is not an issue for me as I always let all equipment idel for at least a minute to make sure oil has got to all parts of engine and transmission.

Same here, a rough idle for the first 10-20 seconds on a cold start-up then everything is good.

Ok, yeah mine ranges 1100- 1350 rpm’s back and forth on the first start up of the day

If you use 87 ethanol gas in cold weather rangers start and run better. Info from Polaris dealer. Rangers are designed to run 10% ethanol 87 minimum octane. My 2019 ranger will barely start in cold weather on 91 non-ethanol gas. 10% ethanol 87 gas my old ranger starts easy. I checked the manual for my new XD and it shows 10% ethanol gas.

I think you’re right about the manual, when I asked my dealer, they acknowledged that , but told me they always run the higher octane gas in all their machines 🤷‍♂️

I think you’re right about the manual, when I asked my dealer, they acknowledged that , but told me they always run the higher octane gas in all their machines 🤷‍♂️
Dido.....I like the good stuff for my smaller engines and always run 91 in the bikes, lawn mower, and other small engines. I'm a corn cob from Iowa and prefer non ethanol gas.

Back