• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Trailering protection

Wavewackers

Jun 6, 2024
So in the past i have had to replace a couple of windshields on my Paris ranger due to rocks and or debris on the road. So my question is; What do people do to protect their windshields when trailering? I'm going to try this, what are other people doing?

That’s pretty slick. Let us know how it is if you get it. I might be interested in that. I have the Polaris trailerable cover. Plus I back mine up onto the trailer. Of course I only use the cover when I’m towing it on the flat bed and not my enclosed.

Pro Fab about 200 bucks, they have a good website check it out
tempImageV8Pzen.png

I like that it secures with straps and buckles instead of the magnets. Has it ever slid down or moved on ya?

I use FlakJacket, nice quality and well made. They make both front and rear window protection, depending if pull forward or backward.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpeg
    IMG_0333.jpeg
    893.2 KB · Views: 4
I can honestly say I've never seen a UTV towed down the highway with one of these on. That said, I can understand that windshields can be cracked by a rock or other debris if it gets hit, but so can my truck window and that's never been a problem. I guess if you're trailering on gravel or low maintenance roads it could be a bigger issue that what I experience. If I was to get one, I think I would get the Pro Fab because it's only $200 and uses straps. The Fit2ride looks really good, but the 6 magnets permanently struck to the inside of my windshield would be a deal breaker for me.

Montana has rumble strips depressions between the lanes and at the edges. In the winter the DOT doesn't use salt but a sand/pebble mix. Over the winter these depressions fill up and then in the summer every times a car passes and crosses the rumble strip, the car behind or trailer is peppered. Gravel roads are prevalent. Two truck windshields and two car windshields in the last 5 years. Auto insurance companies do not cover windshields in Montana. When you buy a new car as an add on some dealers try to sell you coverage, 5 replacement windshield for 5 years for about a 1000 bucks, We should have bought it.

Montana has rumble strips depressions between the lanes and at the edges. In the winter the DOT doesn't use salt but a sand/pebble mix. Over the winter these depressions fill up and then in the summer every times a car passes and crosses the rumble strip, the car behind or trailer is peppered. Gravel roads are prevalent. Two truck windshields and two car windshields in the last 5 years. Auto insurance companies do not cover windshields in Montana. When you buy a new car as an add on some dealers try to sell you coverage, 5 replacement windshield for 5 years for about a 1000 bucks, We should have bought it.
Holy crap, that's a lot of broken windshields! We have rumble strips in Iowa on most of our highways too, but I never been peppered from anything that came out of them. I guess it goes without saying the front end of vehicles in Montanna must be fairly beat up from the sand and pebble mix. Montana is 1 of maybe 10 states I've never ridden a motorcycle in..........maybe I'm lucky I didn't.

Same here in Central Oregon, ODOT uses red cinder to sand the roads. Co worker and I both have windshields that need replaced in our work vehicles. Plus a lot of my towing is on gravel roads. I’m with big red, I think pro fab is the one I would choose.

Didn't know I wanted one, darn sure didn't know I needed one..........now I'm looking for what's out there just in case I buy one.

UPdates on my fit2ride windshield cover, still have not received it yet but i will give a total review when i do!

So i finally received my windshield cover from fit2ride.
pros:
1. super easy to install .
2. seems well built, quality
3. drove 660 miles in thunderstorms and winds no issues
Cons:
1. Magnets on windshield
2. storms could they rip it off ( I did drive through some tough weather)
3. took 4 weeks to get (maybe to new of a model)

So my main requirement was to find something without straps that would and could damage my weather striping on my windshield or doors, this meets that criteria. Living up in Northern Minnesota having a tightly sealed cab in a must due to -30+.

happy so far and would buy again.
1721088949315.jpeg

1721089061213.jpeg

1721089136892.jpeg

Thanks for update. I was wondering where the magnets mounted. Sounds like it worked out for ya in the end.

Back