• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Trans temps

Rocklong

Jan 16, 2024
One thing I have noticed is the transmission heats up when cruising at road speeds for 20ish miles. Not bad on the pavement but on the gravel roads with more resistance my trans temps reached 205 and the engine temp was about 180 in sub zero temps. I have had it on a couple 20ish mile gravel road trips and both times the cooling fans would be running but only the transmission temps warm up not the engine. Probably designed that way but kinda scares me when it gets 90f out if the fans are running at -10 to -20 degrees.

Rocklong Do you have a crew cab or three seater . I was wondering with the extra weight of the machine. I can't find out yet what the normal operating temp. is supposed to be .Mine is still at the dealership I can't check it. Hopefully someone will chime in and give a approximate temp. reading on there machine.

I had to take some garbage about an hour ago so took the gravel road. I made a point to notice temp. It was about 40 degrees outside and after 20 minutes of driving in the 30-40 mph range, it stabilized 177-180. So pretty much same as yours, but much warmer outside. We actually had rain today instead of snow because storms came out of south. I didn’t read your message well enough, so didn’t notice trans temps. I will keep looking, over the next few rides.

Cruises mine about 20 miles today in about -9 degrees on a hiway with a few big hills. Going about 50 mph trans temps went up to 226 and I backed off it and slowed down. Within 5 minutes of stoping it was back to about 160ish

Cruises mine about 20 miles today in about -9 degrees on a hiway with a few big hills. Going about 50 mph trans temps went up to 226 and I backed off it and slowed down. Within 5 minutes of stoping it was back to about 160ish
I just took a 25 mile trip on gravel running about 35 MPH in 21 degree temps. My engine was 178 and my trans temp never got above 78 degrees. I would say one of us has a serious problem with our transmission or temp gauge. If I was guessing man I think it's most likely you Rocklong and should get it checked out asap.

Mine don’t heat at all at those speeds. Its the sustained 50-60 mph that it warms way up.

Mine don’t heat at all at those speeds. Its the sustained 50-60 mph that it warms way up.
I guess I have no clue how hot mine gets at those speeds.......the roads have been too slick to drive that fast for that long. I'll check it when things clear up a bit.

45-60 today on gravel for about 15 minutes, trans was between 108-118. Engine 178 most of the time. Trans went to 108-ish the longer I drove. Not sure what’s going on if temps are getting anywhere near 200. I can’t duplicate it. Mine is a crew with 200-300 pounds of accessories and equipment and two of us in the rig.

Just take it one the road and try to hold about 55-60 mph for about 20 miles or so. It will heat up. I noticed if I stay about 5000 rpm’s or under my temps stay about the same as yours on those long trips. I pulled a trailer with a John Deere gator on it 20 miles on gravel yesterday at about 45 mph and temps never went above 106

Just take it one the road and try to hold about 55-60 mph for about 20 miles or so. It will heat up. I noticed if I stay about 5000 rpm’s or under my temps stay about the same as yours on those long trips. I pulled a trailer with a John Deere gator on it 20 miles on gravel yesterday at about 45 mph and temps never went above 106
Interesting. I suppose as long as it is in range it is designed for it’s not a big deal. Highest I’ve ever noticed trans is 136 and engine 189. Then again haven’t paid a lot of attention to transmission.

Back